Whole Pollo Egg Bake
Remember that amazingly easy Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken from last week? Well I suggested a bunch of different uses for it but this might be my favorite use for some of the leftovers. This Whole Pollo Egg Bake is super easy to make, perfect for meal prep, has a load of veggies in it, and is great for any meal of the day! And clearly I have a thing for Egg Bakes, this being my third one! They are just so perfect for prepping a bunch of breakfasts I don't have to think about past the cooking day.
I had never really seen chicken in a breakfast casserole until I did a Whole30 and I am totally down to have chicken anytime of the day. I was actually kicking myself for not thinking of it sooner, I mean, why is chicken left out of the breakfast scene? My husband absolutely loved this because it didn't really taste like breakfast, he's not a big fan (I know you just muttered, Freak, under your breath, don't worry, I do it too). So this is approved by all bringing the chicken and the egg together in perfect harmony.
Whole Pollo Egg Bake
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, small dice (about 1/2" cubes)
- 3 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons + 1 Tablespoon Taco or Fajita Seasoning, divided
- 3 cups Slow Cooker Green Chile Chicken
- 3 cups bell peppers, chopped (about 2)
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the sweet potatoes in the oil along with 2 teaspoons of Fajita seasoning and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake until browned, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and lower temperature to 350.
- Spray a baking dish with coconut or avocado oil. Layer in the sweet potatoes, shredded chicken, and peppers.
- Whisk the eggs, almond milk, 1 Tablespoon Fajita Seasoning, salsa, salt, pepper, cilantro, and green onions. Pour the mixture over the chicken and veggies.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until middle is set, touch with your finger on and it should bounce back a little.
- Top a slice with your favorite things like guacamole, hot sauce, cashewgurt, more herbs, whatevs!
**Please note that the size baking dish makes a difference in cooking times. I used a smaller glass baking dish and this make a deep egg bake. If you use a larger dish, your bake will be thinner and will take less time to bake. Start checking on your bake at about 25 minutes in and you can touch the center to determine if it is cooked through, it should be firm and spring back.**
While those sweet potatoes were in the oven, I chopped the peppers and herbs.
Layer this up!