Green Eggs and Ham Sandwiches
My daughter’s school had Seuss day last week and I was thinking, I didn’t even know that was a thing! But it did get me thinking, my oldest’s favorite Seuss book is Green Eggs and Ham, she actually read it to her class last year. After hearing her practice it for weeks leading up to the class reading, I’m sure you can guess that the text has been imprinted in my brain. So when Seuss day and St. Patrick’s Day are close together, you get Green Eggs and Ham Sandwiches.
I have actually made these for a couple years, perfect to prep ahead and have ready in the freezer or fridge. They fill you up and have veggies which makes them even better. My friends thought the green was a little neon but it’s all natural thanks to spinach! Green totally makes me think of Spring and the grass is finally starting to have spots of green alongside the brown. St. Patty’s day has never been a thing to us so it is just a happy accident that green represents the holiday. So I thought if I am posting this as a Patty Day recipe, I should go all Irish and include orange to make it the flag, in go orange bell peppers and cheddar cheese!
Whatever your dietary needs or preferences, you can have these beauties. Gluten free - grab some gf English muffins. Vegetarian - use some plant based sausage patties. Dairy free - dairy free cheese slices have come a long way. Paleo or Whole30 - leave off the cheese, make sure your meat is compliant, and use some sweet potato toast to be in place of the bread. Keto or low carb - leave off the bread and serve it like an eggs benedict, egg, ham, cheese stack. How do you like your breakfasts?
Green Eggs and Ham Sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches
1/4 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried or fresh chives
2 packed cups spinach
1/2 cup peppers, diced (about 1 small)
4 English muffins, toasted (see alternative options above)
4 slices cheddar cheese (see alternative options above)
12 slices ham
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray a 8x8 baking dish with oil.
- In a blender, combine the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, onion powder, chives, and spinach. Blend at medium speed until all combined and a bright green mixture. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle in the peppers.
- Bake eggs for 18-20 minutes until the center is set. Let cool for about 15 minutes then cut into squares or cicles the same size as the muffins.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing the bottom muffin half, top with egg mix, 3 slices of ham, cheese, and then the top of the muffin.
- Either bake or broil for the cheese to melt or wrap individually in cling wrap to store in the fridge or freezer (place in freezer bag if freezing). Thaw before warming in the fridge overnight.
What could be easier than throwing it all in a blender and blitzing it until it is all combined?
Don’t worry about that froth, it will bake evenly and gorgeous. Pour the mix into a baking dish and sprinkle in the peppers for a pop of color. Then just bake!
The stages of assembly are super simple, just stack it up! If you want to eat them later, just wrap and store in a freezer bag. If you need or want changes to it, see the blurb at the top of the post, I give options for gluten free, dairy free, Paleo, Whole30, vegetarian, Keto, and low carb!