Star Spangled Trifle
I made a version of this years ago, much more processed and easier, but it was amazing and stuck with me. Everyone has their version of a red, white, and blue dessert featuring strawberries and blueberries and this is my submission to that camp! I used my deliciously simple Buttermilk Pound Cake, just baked into a loaf. And let me tell you, fresh whipped cream is the best, totally worth your time and effort. You can make this a day ahead and have it chillin' in the fridge, ready for your festivities.
Want it even easier, use a store bought cake (gluten-free, vegan, Sara Lee, whatever!) and some Cool Whip (or Coconut Whipped Cream for dairy-free/vegan). This can be adapted to whatever tickles your fancy! Love peaches? Swap the strawberries for those juicy girls and it will be amazing! This serves a crowd and kids love it, especially licking the whisk!
Star Spangled Trifle
- Buttermilk Pound Cake baked in a loaf, half of the loaf cut into 1" cubes (save the rest of the loaf in the freezer!)
- 1 1/2 pounds strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Bake the pound cake as directed, cool completely. Place your mixing bowl in the fridge or freezer to help whip the cream.
- Have your cake pieces and fruit all ready before starting the cream. Set aside a bit of fruit to decorate the top.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl with the whisk attachment (or hand mixer or by hand). Slowly increase the speed as the cream gets thicker, drizzle in the sugar and vanilla. This will take some time, whip until soft peaks form, don't whip to much or you will have butter.
- Grab a pretty bowl and start layering whatever order you like. I did: pound cake, cream, strawberries, pound cake, blueberries, cream, decoration fruit. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate. Serve in bowls and make sure to go down to the bottom to get all the layers
Whipping the cream in a cold bowl helps it thicken faster. Drizzling in the sugar and vanilla adds just a little bit of sweetness. Slowly increase the speed so you don't get cream everywhere!
Layer it up! Get creative with the design on the top to wow your friends and family!