Whole30 Cottage Pie
Cottage Pie is what is commonly known as Shepherd's Pie but a true Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb and since we use ground beef here in America, it is Cottage Pie. Damn, I sound like such a pretentious bloviador... Nevermind, its meat and veggies topped with mashed freaking potatoes, so all I know is it is a crowd fave. I have been making a version of this for years but it was decidedly non-compliant, so when the hubs did his first Whole30, I wanted to make one of his favorites so he didn't feel like he was missing out on life. I ended up with this beauty and I have to say, I like it better than my old jammmm! This is a great meal for anytime, with anyone (except vegetarians, but you could leave the meat out), and is perfect to prep ahead of time, it freezes beautifully as well. All around, a winner, winner, beefy dinner! I know I have a corny sense of humor, be warned, it crops up like a bad dad joke.
Whole30 Cottage Pie
- 3 Tablespoons avocado or olive oil, divided
- (1) 16 oz package of Baby Bellas, de-stemmed and quartered
- (1) large onion, diced
- (4) large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon Adams Seasoning (if you don't have it, use salt, pepper, and garlic powder)
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut to about 1" pieces
- 5 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, I prefer almond milk
- 2 Tablespoons ghee
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400
- heat 1 Tbsp oil in a dutch oven or other large heavy pot on medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Once they are brown and soft, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the diced onions and carrots to the pot, add oil if needed, season with salt and pepper. Saute until softened, then move to a bowl, you will add it back in later.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil and add ground beef, break up with a spoon, add seasoning. Once the beef is all browned and you house smells bomb-diggaty, add the veggies back in. Throw in the chopped green beans and set aside while you make the mashed potatoes.
- Add the chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover with water, about 2 inches above the potato line, bring to a boil. Drain the potatoes and place back into the pot and cover for a minute. Add the ghee, milk, and salt and pepper, mash until smooth. Add milk if you need it a little thinner, you want it to be on the thick side.
- Time to assemble, spray a baking dish with avocado or olive oil, pour the meat and vegetable mix. Dollop the mashed potatoes on top and spread with a spatula, make a design on top with a fork if desired.
- Bake pie for 20-30 minutes and broil for a couple minutes if you want additional browning.